Sunday, January 24, 2021

Modern Sandy Koufax

 By Micah Halpern

I've Been Thinking:

Elie Kligman is a highly desired baseball recruit from Arizona.

A high-school senior, Kligman is regarded as one of the best baseball players in Arizona. There is serious interest from Division I universities and he is, of course, looking towards the majors.

Kligman is Jewish. Kilgman does not play on Shabbat. Friday night and Saturday games are not even an option.

In a story that ran on Chabad.com, Kligman is quoted as saying: "I have the mindset of, ‘This is what I am doing for Judaism, and this is what I am doing for baseball.’ Once the sun goes down on Friday night, it’s not a debate for me, [celebrating Shabbat] is just what I am doing … When you are a proud Jew, people respect when I tell them I’m not going to play on Friday night and Saturday.”

Kligman is still a teenager. He is also a Jewish hero. Not yet as popular or famous as Sandy Koufax who refused to play in the World Series on Yom Kippur, Elie Kligman won’t play on any Shabbat of Yom Tov.

Micah@MicahHalpern.com

Read my latest book THUGS. It's easy. Just click.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=halpern%2C+micah

To reprint my essays contact sales (at) www.featurewell.com

No comments:

Post a Comment